Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympic thoughts

I can't believe I haven't written anything on these Olympics yet, but if you've been in the Himalayas for the past two weeks, here's an overall update and my pointless rants about it.



China is winning in overall golds we are winning in overall medals - Of course they are winning in gold medals, they have 8 bagillion people. On top of that, they choose all of their athletes when they are four and make them live a life solely surrounding training for the Olympics. (I read it on Fox News so it has to be true.) Congrats China, try winning that many medals with 1/4 of your population. If we could afford to have people focusing on lame things like team archery, table tennis, synchronized diving and judo, I'm sure we would be beating your ass. I feel like there should be a medal tracker for events people actually care about (ie: swimming, volleyball, running, basketball, baseball, soccer, gymnastics), because the US would dominate that puppy.

(Update: It seems like whenever China and the US face off, we either a) get screwed or b) have some incredibly shady judging let China win...I'm getting tired of it, can we threaten them with economic sanctions?)



China is also winning in producing fake passports for its' gymnasts - This was the most ridiculous thing I think I have ever seen. I understand that China has spent 40 billion on these Olympics and only 10 billion on their healthcare but give me a break...every one of these girls were missing teeth. Per a very reliable source, humans usually lose their teeth around the age of thirteen. You, China, should be ashamed of yourselves. Our girls busted their asses out there and despite Sacramone's two faulters we still almost beat you. Give yourselves up, you gutless cowards...



Tell me you think this girl is 16...


NO


FRIGGIN


WAY




That girl looks 12, maybe thirteen. (My apologies that all of their missing teeth are strategically placed on the right side of their mouths.) Granted, China should be credited with having the most talented 13 year old gymnasts in the world to be fair...I think it's a legit trade off.


Alicia Sacramone - This girl has been all over the news since the team gymnastics and I have never been happier. Everyone keeps writing that she cost our gymnastics team an overall gold. Well that's fine everyone, Can we just forgive her? She is hot as hell and has an awesome youtube video of her knocking out some guy



Oh, that's not her you say? Choke on this one big guy...or girl...




God how hot is she? For the record she is 21...so stop thinking I am a pedafile. This dude who interviews her is the biggest loser in the entire world:

"Is there any event you just need to like...rock...to be selected."

Way to go bud...ESPN HERE WE COME!

Michael Phelps is a freak - He topped Mark Spitz with eight gold medals won. This is unreal what we have had the pleasure of seeing. EIGHT. Eight gold medals, seven world records.

If you have to look at two of these record breaking runs, the relays were definitely the most impressive. The best comeback in Olympic history isn't up on youtube but here's an explanation of what happened...thanks NY Times for being so boring.






The other relay was amazing for an entirely different reason. the 4 X 200 relay broke the world record by 7 seconds. That is UNHEARD OF in swimming. It's the equivalent of breaking the 100 meter dash by .75 seconds, it just doesn't happen.


Beach Volleyball looks fun - I was watching beach volleyball down in D.C. with my buddy Jim and we both made the same comment at the same time. "I wish I could play more beach volleyball." Maybe we are the only two men in the U.S. that thought this at that moment, but I'm going to say that we weren't the only two. I think the U.S. is going to see a big spike in volleyball sales in the next year or so, find the market share leader and buy it up.

No comments: