Wednesday, February 25, 2009

You Work, I Watch the Combine

I stayed home the other day because my work computer exploded and I had nothing to do, so I immediately thought about the loyal readers of the Nipple...and that they might wonder what the hell happened at the combine.

I didn't get to see the QB's but there really wasn't anything spectacular there anyways, so I'll break it down how I saw it.

Defensive Tackle -

I guess I just have a really big problem watching the DT's because all of them are just FAT. They don't look athletic, they don't look strong, they don't look fast. So I took Warren Sapp's POV on most of these guys and here's what I came out with.

Terrance Taylor - is a MONSTER. His bench press was one of the most eye-opening things I saw all day. I can do 225 maybe 15 times...this dude wasn't even winded when he hit 25. The first 30 seconds just looked like he was lifting a toothpick . He ended up putting it up 37 times and that stands as the second most in the whole combine. I can't imagine what it was like when Broderick Bunkley put it up 47 times three years ago.

B.J. Raji - is supposed to be awesome. He looks like a fat prick to me. He had to sit out his whole junior year because of academic probation and when he came on the set of NFL network it was obvious why. I don't think he used a word over two syllables the entire time he was on set.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80edfdee

Terrance Knighton - Has the largest lower body I have ever seen in my entire life. It looked like one of those apple picture things where you can stretch the photo with the click of a button. Oh, and performance wise, nothing special.

Defensive End -

This was the most intriguing group of guys. A lot of them can be conversion outside linebackers, they are all fast and huge and amazing athletes.

Connor Barwin - stole the show. Everyone was thinking "oh here's a defensive end from Cincinnati," everyone came out saying "here's one of the best athletes at the combine." This guy boosted his draft position more than anyone at the combine by far. He had the highest vert of any DE, the second fastest 40 time (4.61) and he tied Beanie Wells in the broad jump at 10'8.

Aaron Maybin - is 20 years old. Twenty...and he looks like he can handle it. He's big, he's fast and he looks like an athlete. The only knock in him is that he's from PSU and I don't like the DE's that come out of that school. If he's converted to a OLB, WATCH OUT.

Brian Orakpo - is a BEAST. He looks bigger than Jevon Kearse who I think is one of the biggest DE's in the game. He ran a top ten 40 time and looked pretty good until his hamstring popped. No worries, he will be fine...he's my dark horse for defensive ROY.

Orion Martin - was a walk on. So you know he has heart and determination. He has vaulted himself into a top three DL pick and I think over time he will be a house hold name.

Michael Johnson - is my pick for flop of the draft. He looked like a man among boys, except for Orakpo. He was one of the fastest DE's has HUGE arms, a long stride and was the best athlete in drills. My only worry, as the NFL Network said is that he's HIGHLY inconsistent. His raw talent and potential is bar none in this draft.

Linebacker -

Aaron Curry - should be the first pick in the draft. He is/was that good. It was obvious he was the best LB at the combine. His quickness and decision making were obviously faster than everyone else's and he was a top performer in EVERY drill.. His only downfall is he gets excited in the open field and misses tackles...no worries Detroit, give him his money now.

Clay Matthews - has NFL blood in him. His dad was an NFL linebacker, his uncle is the famous Bruce Matthews, his brother is a top prospect at Oregon...how's that for pedigree? I think he boosted himself almost as much as Connor Barwin. He looked so fluid in every drill it was like he was born to be a linebacker. Watch out for Clay to make a big impact in the NFL.

Brian Cushing - is a meat head. "What NFL team doesn't want a meat head on their squad," as Jon Gruden so eloquently put it. He by passed all of the big name combine workout facilities to go back to his NJ high school's training facilities because he thought "they knew him best." That is bad ass. "Screw the froo-froo crap, I'm going to Jersey to flip dumpsters and pull semi trucks." I absolutely love this kid.

Marcus Freeman - is a name you should know about going into the draft. This guy was always over-shadowed by the oh so famous James Lauranitis at OSU. Let us not look past him anymore...he looked better than him in every drill. He's a tenth of a second faster, 7 reps stronger and he looked more fluid in drills and James did...can we say UNDER RATED.

Ray Malaluga - got hurt in his 40. I don't really have a lot to say about him other than he is probably the second best LB in the draft. He's like a bigger Troy Polomalu who doesn't talk like Michael Jackson.

Tight End -

Cornelius Ingram - was the only person that blew me away. By blew me away I mean, holy crap, this dude is an animal. Anyone who is 6'4 245 and ran the 40 in 4.68 is ok in my book. He is a unproven Kellen Winslow, without a motorcycle license. A huge down side is that he was just recovering from an ACL tear that kept him out all season at Florida. He looked like he was playing with a bunch of rookies at the combine to me.

Brandon Pettigrew - is a lot better than was shown at the combine. He is a prototypical tight end who can block and catch. If you need a 10 year TE prospect, draft him.

Wide Receiver -

Deon Butler - was the fastest man at PSU. His first ten yards of his 40 were non existent. That being said he ran the 30-yard dash in 4.26 seconds. He looked RIDICULOUSLY fast. Other than that he did ok.

Johnny Knox - is faster than Deon. This guy was believe it or not, even faster.

Take three minutes and watch this...it's unreal: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80edffeb

Michael Crabtree - broke his foot but will be a beast in the NFL...everyone knows that.

Jeremy Maclin - is going to be the best athlete from this draft class. He's fast as hell, he's got amazing hands and he's a threat to score on any punt return or kick return.

Percy Harvin - is ok. I question how good Percy is going to be in the NFL because of his size. He's only 5'11, which I think is a stretch, and he's gonna get knocked around a lot. Bottom line is Percy didn't jump off the field at me during the combine and I don't think he will in the NFL...could regret saying that.

Running Back -

Cedric Peerman - looks like the top RB in this class. He went to Virginia which has a history of turning out some MONSTER tailbacks into the NFL, and he performed very well. He was a top performer in nearly every drill, he's big, he's fast, he's agile...what more do you want?

Ian Johnson - really surprised me. Everyone thinks of Ian as the guy that proposed during a bowl game. Everyone also knows that he played for Boise State and the team isn't that impressive, blah blah blah... I got news for you people, this guy can play ball. I think whoever takes him in the third or fourth is going to get a workhorse that loves to play the game.





To be honest, no one else really impressed me at the combine...so there you have it. These are the guys to look out for in the Draft in April. I hope you enjoyed it and I'm going to leave you with some good clips of Rich Eisen at the combine...hilarious stuff.

Rich Eisen's 40: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80eea0dc

Rich Eisen's Wonderlic: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ee436c

1 comment:

The Dawg Staph said...

Fairly solid analysis, glad I got to read about as I didnt get to see it. I am really hoping that Curry falls to the Browns, if not I guess I would want Crabbtree or trade down.
I thought Ian Johnson left 2 yrs ago... Did you get to see the Oline work out? Also didnt the LBer from Miami two years ago set the record for lber bench? He was drafted in the 5th by the Titans, the kid literally did not have a neck. As far as Clay Matthews goes, I am concerned over the one year wonder status with him.

Side note, Braylon lifted 225 17 times when he came out, not saying just saying...